Public Consultations on EI Reform
March 8th, 2013 - 12:27pm
Your federal MP for Beauharnois-Salaberry, Anne Quach, invites you to a public consultation on the EI reform with MP Anne-Marie Day, Official Opposition Critic for Employment Insurance. The consultations will take place on:
- St-Rémi / 1:30 to 3:30: St-Rémi, Saturne Room, 25 St-Sauveur Street.
- Huntingdon / 6:30 to 8:30: Alfred-Langevin Room, 10 King Street.
- Salaberry-de-Valleyfield / 9:30 to 11:30: Nautical Centre, 410 Victoria Street.
These consultations are open to everyone. People are invited to come share their opinions and concerns about the threat that these recent changes to EI represent, with your MP and Employment Insurance Critic.
New Democrats believe that the Conservatives’ wrong-headed reform will:
- Bring down salaries and working conditions;
- Impoverish and stigmatize the unemployed;
- Lead to the devaluation of skills in our workforce;
- Make appeal mechanisms more rigid;
- Impoverish thousands of unemployed people who work part-time while receiving benefits and looking for full-time jobs;
- Weaken our regional economies by taking away a huge pay roll – regions that live off of seasonal industries, like fisheries, agriculture, forestry, construction and tourism;
- Further reduce access to employment insurance.
During these consultations, we will:
- Highlight the latest penalizing and restricting amendments;
- Present tools to mobilize the population against these changes;
- Discuss NDP proposals to significantly improve EI.
Come meet us and tell us what concerns you the most about these changes to EI!